In San Diego, a hit-and-run charge is a serious charge. The experienced hit-and-run attorney at Superior Law Center understands your situation. We’re ready to defend you during this upsetting time. Know that we’ve successfully defended thousands of San Diego clients. We boast an outstanding track record of success.
Panic is a genuine emotion. It’s often the driving factor that causes people to flee after an accident. But modern technology prevents most drivers from escaping hit and run charges in San Diego. Between security cameras and passersby with handheld devices, it’s rare that a vehicle isn’t identified quickly.
- If you’ve been charged with a hit and run in America’s Finest City, don’t hesitate to call us right away at 844.969.1394 for your free consultation.
Meanwhile, here’s what you need to know about hit and run cases in SD.
WHY YOU NEED A SAN DIEGO HIT AND RUN ATTORNEY: THE SEVERITY OF HIT AND RUN CHARGES IN SD
Hit-and-runs can be a misdemeanor — or even a felony charge — depending on the severity of the accident. The use of substances or alcohol can be an important aspect of your case.
- Sometimes, drivers flee the scene of an accident because they have been drinking alcohol or using substances.
- They don’t want to face the penalties of a DUI in addition to the accident penalties.
- Know that in San Diego, a felony hit and run that causes severe permanent injury or death will be charged under California Vehicle Code, Section 20001.
- In San Diego, a misdemeanor hit and run causes less serious injury and property damage is charged under California Vehicle Code, Section 20002.
- Many times in San Diego, a hit-and-run accident becomes a “wobbler.” In these cases, the charge against you could be a misdemeanor or a felony.
- The severity of the charges you face after a hit and run will often depend on how serious the injuries to the other person are.
- A criminal record, probation, and other circumstances can affect your charges too.
Ultimately, every hit and run that happens in San Diego is a unique situation. An experienced hit and run attorney understands there is no cookie-cutter, one-size-fits-all answer.
HIT AND RUN PENALTIES IN SAN DIEGO, CA
The penalties for hit and run charges in California are serious.
If you’re convicted of a misdemeanor hit and run (with property damage) penalties include:
- Up to one year in jail
- A $1,000 fine
- Sometimes judges will order both jail time and fines.
For a conviction for a San Diego felony hit and run with injury to another driver, passenger or pedestrian, you will face the following penalties:
- Up to three years in jail
- A fine ranging anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000
- Or a combination of both fines and jail time.
For hit and run accident in San Diego that caused serious bodily injury or death, you might face:
- A minimum of 90 days in jail
- A minimum fine of $1,000
- Or both jail time and a fine.
If you’re convicted of a felony hit and run with serious bodily injury or death, in San Diego, you’ll face:
- 2-4 years in California prison
- Fines from $1,000 to $10,000
- Or both a fine and a prison sentence.
Considering these severe consequences, it’s easy to see why people get upset and panic about their San Diego hit and run accidents. But legal penalties aren’t the only challenge people face after getting convicted of a hit and run in San Diego.
BEYOND LEGAL ASPECTS: WHY HIT AND RUN CONVICTIONS IN SAN DIEGO ARE SO SERIOUS
Beyond a criminal record, jail time and fines hit and runs (especially felony charges) can affect your future employment. They can ultimately affect your standards of living. If your job requires you to have a clean license, you might lose that job. If you maintain a professional license for your career, you will need to notify the issuing organization. In the future, if you apply for an occupational license you must inform the issuing body of your San Diego hit and run conviction.
California’s “Good Driver Discount”
If convicted of a hit and run, expect your auto insurance rates to skyrocket. In San Diego, we pay high auto insurance premiums already. But California auto insurers are required to provide a significant discount for safe drivers. You’ll immediately lose this discount, and your insurance will increase instantly by about 20%.
In California, your insurance company cannot immediately cancel your car insurance policy for a hit and run. Still, they can choose to non-renew your coverage when your policy period ends. In other words, you’ll likely be searching for car insurance soon. And it’s going to be expensive.
- Furthermore, if charged with DUI in addition to the hit and run, California will require you to carry SR-22 insurance.
- This is a separate insurance expense.
You’ll be paying these increased insurance premiums for the next ten years in California.
OUR GOAL AS YOUR HIT AND RUN ATTORNEY IN SAN DIEGO
Our experienced San Diego attorney uses the best defense strategies to defend your innocence and safeguard your future. We WILL protect your rights, and we WILL fight ferociously for you.
Our goals as your San Deigo hit and run attorney are to protect your rights, protect your criminal record, and get a case dismissed whenever possible.
- The hit-and-run lawyer you select makes all the difference in the outcome of your unique case!
The Superior Law Center’s San Diego hit and run defense team has a single goal — to get your charges reduced or dropped entirely, and to protect YOU!
- We’ve worked in the San Diego County court system for twenty years.
- We have a relationship with the judges involved in your SD hit and run case.
- And while no two hit and run cases in San Diego are ever identical, our experienced team at The Superior Law Center in SD earned the respect of San Diego judges time and again.
- That outstanding track record provides our San Diego area clients a distinct advantage.
Reach out to our experienced San Diego hit and run attorney today at 844.969.1394. We staff our phone 24/7, and we’re ready to give you a no-cost, n0-pressure consultation to help you understand your case. Our team is prepared to fight for you now!
"Eric is very good at being your voice in the field of law. If you need some that is responsible, when it come to taking care of your legal needs. This lawyer has gone the extra mile for me and so has the great people he works with. I thank you."
We also offer little or no money down, and offer affordable payment plans to those who need help. At Superior Law Center, our experienced San Diego trial lawyer will use the best defense strategies possible to protect your innocence and your future! ALL of your rights will be protected immediately, and we will NOT stop until we have secured your freedom and gotten the BEST possible outcome for you or your loved ones.
Often times, we can stop police investigations before you EVER get charged with a crime. (If you have NOT been formally charged, read more about pre-file investigations.)